about-me-profile

Having eye-catching photos that match your brand is a must if you have a blog or website and social media accounts. While stock photos are great, I love when creatives use their own photography. It gives their platforms a sense of realness and makes me feel more connected to them.

When I really started getting into blogging, I focused mainly on outfit posts. Since I don’t have a tripod, my boyfriend took all my photos of me for my blog and I started experimenting with taking photos for social media (mainly Instagram). Between the two of us, we’ve figured out some awesome photography tips for beginners!

I recently invested in a DSLR camera and am looking into taking a few lessons to get the hang of everything. But most of the photos on my blog and Instagram have been snapped with our iPhones. I know the DSLR camera is going to make a big difference and I can’t wait to learn all about it, but it’s also possible to take amazing photos with your phone, so don’t be discouraged if you don’t own a more heavy duty camera.

Whether you’re using your phone or camera, there are certain photography tips to keep in mind when you’re starting out. These are the tips I’ve learned over the past few years and they’ve made a huge difference in my photos from when I began my blogging journey.

Whether you have a Canon, Nikon, or iPhone, learn how to take gorgeous photos for your blog and social media. These photography tips and ideas are perfect for beginners and for bloggers who want to take their photography to the next level! Click through to read the post now and make sure you save this pin for your friends to read too!

1) LIGHTING IS EVERYTHING

I can’t press this enough. Lighting WILL make or break your photos. Different photos require different lighting, but it’s always best to use natural light. If you’re taking photos inside, make sure to take them in the daytime with the light shining through your window.  Using natural lighting always makes your photos look 1000 times better than if you use indoor lighting.

When you’re taking photos of yourself outside, it’s best not to take them when the sun is directly overhead. You’ll end up squinting and the colours may not be as rich as you’d like. If it’s the only time you can take them, try going up against a wall for shade and minimal shadows.

I find the best time to take photos outside is early morning before the sun comes all the way up or around dinner time. This way the sun isn’t shining too brightly, yet there is still enough natural light to make your photos look amazing!

2) REARRANGE THINGS

photography-tips-rearrange
Food photos, coffee table shots, and of course flat lays, always look best when you shoot them from above. But don’t be afraid to rearrange things for the perfect shot! Sometimes moving even one thing will make a huge difference and get you the photo you want. If you’re out for a meal with friends, bring the plates and drinks closer together (it always looks better). Hopefully they don’t mind waiting a minute or two ;).

3) TAKE MULTIPLE SHOTS

The photos we see on peoples’ blogs and Instagrams are VERY rarely the only photo they took. Take lots of photos! Play around with angles and lighting. If you’re taking outfit pictures, try different poses, look in different directions, play with your clothes. If you’re taking food photos, zoom in, zoom out, stand on chairs, have fun with it! Changing your camera angle can make the world of a difference, so always try shooting from different angles.
photography-tips-multiple-shots

I always have tons of photos to choose from and this way I can post my favourites!

Related Post: Instagram Photography Tips for Beginners

4) EDIT

Editing your photos is a great way to get them exactly how you want, especially if the lighting wasn’t right or if the photo didn’t turn out as sharp as you wanted it. However, make sure you don’t over edit! When I’ve looked back on my photos, I realized how over-contrasted some of them are.

I usually stick to brightening them and enriching the colours with an app or in iPhoto. The app Pic Tap Go also has an editing tool that allows you to make things more crisp, which I love for food and nature photos!

Related Post: How to Take the Perfect Top Down Photo for Instagram

5) CHOOSE A NICE BACKGROUND

The background of your photos is a really important thing to think about. When I’m taking outfit photos, I will usually plan out where I want to go to take them before shooting. I usually stick to a brick or grey wall as I like the look of a plain background where your outfit can stand out.
photography-tips-background

However, I also love the look of a cool coffee shop, the beach, vineyards, colourful buildings, the mountains, etc. A nice background can really make your photo pop, so it’s worth putting some thought into it!

6) STAY STEADY AND FOCUSED

This may seem obvious, but I thought I should point it out. Sometimes I’ll take a photo quickly because the only two people in the café are me and the person behind the counter and I feel nervous  LOL. But guess what? The photo is never good. It’s crooked or out of focus, or both. Take your time and take a steady photo. It will turn out so much better, even if it means a little bit of embarrassment. I’ve come to realize that most places are used to people taking photos for Instagram anyways!

7) ADD LIFE TO YOUR PHOTOS

As a lifestyle blogger, it’s always nice to add a bit of life to your photos. What does that mean exactly? Add in an aspect that makes the photo feel un-staged (even if they are). This could mean a photo of someone riding a bike in front of a coffee shop, or a photo of your friend’s hand reaching for something on the table like in the photo below. These things give a sense of realness to your photos that will make it more likely for people to connect with them.
photography-tips-lifestyle

I hope these tips helped you as you begin your photography journey, and I’ll make sure to be back with more once I start figuring everything else out with my DLSR camera! Do you guys have anymore tips for photography? Make sure to sound off in the comments below! And if you loved this post, make sure to share it on Pinterest!

Good photography can seriously amp up your blog and social media accounts! Whether you use an iPhone or DSLR camera, these are the best photography tips and ideas for beginners. Click to read the tips or save this post for later!

For more blogging and social media tips, make sure to say hi and follow along on Pinterest|Instagram|Twitter

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

32 thoughts on “My 7 Best Photography Tips for Beginners

1. I love the last tip!! Really helpful! Definitely gives me something to think about 🙂
    Victoria

Posted on June 17, 2016 at 10:07 am
    1. Thanks Victoria! I’ve noticed that I’m really drawn to life in photos so thought I should throw it in 🙂 Thanks for stopping by !

Posted on June 17, 2016 at 10:33 am
  2. Great post! This was super helpful!!

Posted on June 17, 2016 at 10:41 am
    1. Thanks so much! 🙂

Posted on June 17, 2016 at 12:24 pm
  3. Love, love, love these tips! Sometimes I get down on myself because I can’t afford a good camera right now, so I only use my iPhone for both photos and videos. I use some of these tips, but thanks for the refresher and new ideas!

Posted on June 17, 2016 at 10:43 am
    1. Hey Jessie, definitely don’t feel discouraged! Most of my photos are taken with my iPhone and I actually love the quality! Glad you found the tips helpful 🙂

Posted on June 17, 2016 at 12:24 pm
  4. Love all these tips! Every time I take photos for my blog/social media it turns into at least an hour of multiple shots, rearranging things, adding things in/taking things out, etc. It’s a process!

Rachel / http://www.seashellsandsparkles.com

Posted on June 17, 2016 at 11:08 am
    1. Hi Rachel, you’re so right, it’s definitely such a process! Thanks for stopping by and glad you liked the tips 🙂

Posted on June 17, 2016 at 12:21 pm
  5. Thanks for the post, great tips! I’ve wanted to start using my own photos on my blog posts for a long time, but since I don’t really know what I’m doing I keep wimping out and using creative commons stock photos. But reading this makes me want to buckle down and start snapping some pics today! I don’t have a proper camera but I can at least get started with my iphone!

Posted on June 18, 2016 at 11:36 am
    1. Hi Cory! My best advice is to just get started! You don’t need a fancy camera 🙂 Most of my photos are taken on my iPhone and the more you do it the more comfortable you’ll get and the better your pictures will be 🙂 Good luck and I hope my tips help 😀

Posted on June 18, 2016 at 11:43 am
  6. I love these tips- you are awesome and I’m so glad I found your blog! Definitely a new reader- I love that you have blog tips mixed with lifestyle posts! 🙂

-Desirae at thefullestlifeblog.com

Posted on June 21, 2016 at 9:31 am
    1. Hi Desirae! Thank you so much, that means a lot! So happy to have you around and I hope you find my posts enjoyable and helpful! xx

Posted on June 21, 2016 at 12:41 pm
  7. Thanks for the tips I have been trying to take better photos for my blog! I have only just gotten started but I have only used my own photos and these tips should help me improve on that! Thanks so much!

Posted on October 25, 2016 at 6:11 am
    1. That’s so great that you take all your own pictures! I’m glad this post is helpful for you, thanks so much for stopping by 🙂

Posted on October 25, 2016 at 3:20 pm
  8. Your tips are really helpful! I’ve just recently bought a new camera and I’ve been dying to find out how to approach snapping pictures. Thank you ^-^

Posted on December 30, 2016 at 10:25 pm
    1. I;m so happy you found the post helpful 🙂 Enjoy your new camera 😀

Posted on January 2, 2017 at 2:57 pm
  9. Posted on January 18, 2017 at 6:36 am
    1. It’s so true, isn’t it! Thanks fore reading 🙂

Posted on January 18, 2017 at 9:57 am
  10. Great tips Kate as always. I don’t own an iPhone but my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 does a pretty good job of taking pictures and making videos.
    I hope to get a DSLR soon too and read your tips for using it.

Posted on January 28, 2017 at 1:44 am
    1. Thank you so much! I’ve heard great things about the Samsung Galaxy Note 4, so I’m glad it’s working well for you for your photos and videos 🙂 Xx

Posted on January 29, 2017 at 1:43 pm
  11. I’m so happy I stumbled across your blog and these tips! Photography is my least favorite part of blogging because I feel like my pictures are never good enough. I’ve thought about hiring one of my photographer friends on several occasions, but I don’t have the budget for that 😛 Thanks for all the help!

-Nicole
    myuninspiredblog.com

Posted on February 25, 2017 at 1:50 pm
    1. Hi Nicole! So happy I could provide you with some help in the photography realm! Just keep practicing and practicing! Your pictures will evolve (I giggle when I look back on my old photos!). XO

Posted on February 27, 2017 at 11:51 am
  12. helpfull

Posted on March 2, 2017 at 11:57 pm
    1. Thanks Nisha 🙂

Posted on March 3, 2017 at 11:02 am
  13. Thank you for the tips! I’m a new blogger and currently just take pictures with my phone (insert various frowny emojis). Do you have any tips for when you’re shooting indoors and can’t be near a window? My kitchen is completely blocked off from natural light which makes it hard to take decent food pictures. Thanks!

Kelly

Posted on April 18, 2017 at 12:16 pm
    1. Hi Kelly, thanks for stopping by and you’re very welcome for the tips! Hmm that’s a great question. I’ve always been able to use natural light so I can’t say from experience, but perhaps you could create a set up near a window to take your photos on. Before we redid our kitchen, I used to take food photos on a white desk near a window! You could also invest in a marble slab to make it look like a countertop, etc. 🙂

Posted on April 24, 2017 at 9:01 am
  14. Thank you this help me get a better​ understanding..

Posted on May 7, 2017 at 2:52 pm
    1. You’re welcome Kristi! Thanks for stopping by 🙂

Posted on May 10, 2017 at 11:23 am
  15. I found your blog on Pinterest, so I came to give it a look. I’m enjoying the information. I’m bookmarking and will be share this to my Friends! Wonderful blog and amazing design and style.

Posted on July 5, 2017 at 8:39 am
    1. Wow, thank you so much for your comment! I’m so glad you find my blog so helpful, and I’m very happy to have you and your friends around 🙂

Posted on July 12, 2017 at 10:21 am
  16. Loved these tips! lighting is so important and I am so not proficient in editing yet!

Posted on October 22, 2017 at 5:27 pm
    1. Thanks Erin!! Yes, natural lighting is so key and editing makes all the difference! Practice makes perfect 😉

Posted on October 23, 2017 at 9:13 am