Instagram is my FAVOURITE social media platform. It allows you to show off your personality and artistry, and if you’re a blogger or any type of creative, it can be a total game changer! Before I understood the real power of Instagram as a blogger, I would post whatever pictures I wanted. I used the built-in Instagram filters and tried to make them look pretty, but I didn’t have a real vision, plan, or theme. After a couple years of on-and-off experimenting with the platform I’ve learned how to theme your Instagram to grow your following and make your followers want to double tap.

If you’re an type of creative, Instagram can help you grow your personal brand like none other! And an important part of any brand is finding a theme and sticking to it. This way, people will come to recognize you and your aesthetic, whether it’s in real life or online.

how-to-theme-your-instagram

For example, as you can tell from my blog, I really love a clean template, with bright, colourful accents and photos. This theme is carried through on my Instagram and Pinterest accounts. I hope that when people visit each of these places, they can get a real feel for “me” wherever they are!

Over the past few months I’ve more than QUADRUPLED my Instagram followers, and theming my account has been one of the biggest things I attribute this to. I often get asked how I make my page look so nice and how I’m able to make all the photos look so good together. So today I’m going to let you in on some of my Insta-secrets so you can start growing your account too!

Oh, and if you’re really serious about theming and growing your Instagram, make sure to join my #BrandYourGram Instagram Challenge by signing up below!

Let’s get to it!

Take a look at my best Instagram tips for bloggers! If you want to learn how to theme your Instagram and grow your followers, you have to take into account photography and inspiration, and make sure everything you post fits your theme. Instagram is one of the best social media tools for bloggers, so click through to read my Instagram ideas now and save this pin for your followers to read too!

1. FIND INSPIRATION FROM OTHER ACCOUNTS

There are so many gorgeous Instagram accounts that have inspired my photos, and guess what? They all have similar themes. Check out some of my favourites below:

how-to-theme-instagram-JHvia Instagram/jillian.harris

1/ Jillian Harris

2/ SF Girl By Bay

3/ The Everygirl

4/ LC Lauren Conrad

5/ The Simplicity Blog

6/ Blueberry Pancake

As you can see, all of these pages are colourful, airy, feminine and crisp. I’ve picked up tips from all of these accounts, from how to angle food photos to what backdrops look best for style shots.

how-to-theme-instagram-SB
via Instagram/thesimplicityblog

Take a look at your favourite Instagram pages. What is it about them that you absolutely love and makes you want to follow and come back for more? Whatever it is, start implementing these things into your own photos and your theme is sure to blossom!

Related Post: 9 Ways to Use Instagram Stories to Build Your Personal Brand

2. BE THOUGHTFUL

Think about the photos you’re posting. What’s going to look best on your page? Will the photo fit with your theme? Does it fit with your colour scheme? If not, it’s probably best not to post it.

And don’t post a photo just to post a photo. Most successful Instagram pages have nicely photographed pictures of pretty objects, landscapes, desktops, etc. Take the time to create nice flat lays or move things around until you have proper lighting and your objects are organized in the most flattering way. It truly makes a world of difference!

PS. Not a strong photographer? I recommend investing in a stock photo membership like Haute Stock. I use these photos when I don’t have time to snap a branded photo or if I feel a lack of creativity. They’re perfect if you’re looking for gorgeous, styled (and affordable!) photos that you can use on your social media platforms. They’ve helped grow my Instagram so much!

3. BE CONSISTENT WITH COLOUR

how-to-theme-instagram-BP
                                                          via Instagram/blueberrypancake

Having a consistent colour scheme will do wonders for your Instagram theme! If you take a look at Blueberry Pancake, you’ll notice there are a lot of purples, pinks, and greens on her page. And it totally works!  For me, I’ve been trying to stick with pinks, blues and greens, but it doesn’t always happen. I think if you stick to similar colours, or make sure all your colours are brights or pastels, for instance, it can work wonders!

4. INVEST IN APPS & EDIT

I used to think spending money on an editing app was totally ridiculous. Then I saw what a difference it could make and jumped on the app train RIGHT away. I use PicTapGo to edit my photos and it has been LIFE changing (you know, in a social media kind of way)! It’s only $1.99, so it’s really not a huge investment for something so magical. They have a bunch of different editing filters, as do many other apps such as VSCO Cam, which is another blogger favourite.

When using editing apps, stick to the same filters each time you edit your photos so they’re consistent to your theme. I use 2 to 6 of the same filters each time when editing on PicTapGo and that keeps my photos looking consistent and on brand!

5. BRIGHT IS ALWAYS BETTER

Instagram/katebialowas

I think this pretty much goes for every Instagram page, but bright photos always look better than dark and saturated ones. People are visual creatures and our eyes are drawn more to bright, beautiful photos. That’s just how it works!

If you use an editing app, you can brighten your photos, but good lighting is always key! If you can, take photos with natural light as it will always look better than indoor lighting. Having bright photos is sure to help your Insta-theme!

6. THE WORD ON DELETING

I honestly hate deleting photos, but if I post a photo and it doesn’t fit in with the rest of my page, I delete it. And it always makes a huge difference – in a good way. Sometimes I’ll re-edit it and try to make it fit the overall theme, but other times I know it’s just not going to work. It could be due to bad lighting, saturation, or whatever else, but if it doesn’t work, it’s gotta go!

7. BE AN EXPERT

This one really depends on you and your brand, but posting photos of the same thing (ONLY food, ONLY fashion, ONLY fitness) can establish you as an expert and make your page look great! Since I’m a lifestyle blogger and cover multiple topics I don’t do this (nor would I be able to post that much of ONE thing) but it works really well for recipe bloggers like Kale and Caramel, for example.

RELATED POST: 7 Quick and Easy Steps to Improve Your Instagram

Instagram is fun, mildly addicting, and if used strategically it can really help to grow your personal brand! Theming your page is the first step and I hope these tips have helped!

Do you want to grow your instagram following and engagement? Take a look at this in-depth tutorial on how to theme your instagram, and you’ll be on your merry way! Click through to read the amazing instagram ideas and tips, or save this pin to read later!

If you want to check out my page, you can click here and say hello! And if you have any more tips for how to theme your Instagram, let me know in the comments below, with a link to your page so I can check it out!

And if you loved this post, don’t forget to share it on Pinterest with the image below 🙂

And if you’re looking for even more awesome Instagram tips, make sure to follow my Instagram board on Pinterest!

42 thoughts on “How to Theme Your Instagram

1. Love these tips!

Posted on May 12, 2016 at 11:46 am
    1. Thanks so much for reading May 🙂 Glad you enjoyed it!

Posted on May 12, 2016 at 1:26 pm
  2. Really, REALLY good post! Very pin-worthy, so naturally, I’m pinning. xx

Posted on May 12, 2016 at 7:55 pm
    1. Wow, thank you so much! Glad you found it helpful and thanks for sharing 🙂 xx

Posted on May 12, 2016 at 10:46 pm
  3. Short & sweet with lots of timely information. Great post!

Posted on May 13, 2016 at 2:26 pm
    1. Thanks so much, glad you enjoyed it 🙂

Posted on May 13, 2016 at 3:25 pm
  4. Great tips thank you so much! Perfect timing as I’m starting to grow my Insta account @renegadesofchic, thank you thank you thank you!

Posted on May 16, 2016 at 8:21 pm
    1. Thanks for reading Catherine! I’m so happy you found it helpful as you grow your account! xx

Posted on May 17, 2016 at 9:15 am
  5. i totally need this! with these tipes maybe i wont cringe so much when i look at my instagram lol

Posted on May 17, 2016 at 10:23 am
    1. Aww, don’t be so hard on yourself! But yes, theming is key, so I hope this post helps you on your Instagram journey 🙂

Posted on May 17, 2016 at 5:41 pm
  6. This is an amazing post!!! Thank you so much for sharing and having so many examples!!!

Posted on May 17, 2016 at 12:01 pm
    1. Thanks so much Morgan! I’m glad you got something out of the post and happy you liked the examples 🙂 Thanks for stopping by!

Posted on May 17, 2016 at 5:40 pm
  7. I truly needed to read this post. I have decided to start growing my Instagram and this is truly helpful! Thank you so much!

Posted on May 24, 2016 at 11:53 pm
    1. Thank you Felicia, I’m so glad! Good luck with growing your account 🙂 xx

Posted on May 25, 2016 at 9:58 am
  8. This is an amazing post! I totally need these tips and you explained it so well.xo

Dilini
    https://crystalandstars.blogspot.com/ | Bloglovin

Posted on June 6, 2016 at 10:58 am
    1. I’m so happy you found the post helpful! Thanks for stopping by 🙂

Posted on June 6, 2016 at 11:29 am
  9. I’ve been thinking about starting up my business Instagram account again, and these tips were super timely + helpful! 🙂

I do have one question though: would you recommend creating a separate account for your blog/brand or just using your personal account?

Posted on June 6, 2016 at 12:40 pm
    1. Hi Bria! Thanks for the comment 🙂 I think the jury is still out on that one. Personally, I transitioned my personal account into an account I use for my blog and it worked out great, but others prefer to have two separate ones. I definitely lost quite a few followers when I switched it, but the followers I gained were more relevant to my blog/brand so it works out! If your personal life/brand are intertwined, I’d say just use one account and you can really put time and effort into growing it 🙂

Posted on June 6, 2016 at 1:47 pm
  10. Thank so much for these tips! I’m conducting a little audit of my Instagram now that I’ve reached a new goal. Totally using your wisdom! 🙂

Posted on June 7, 2016 at 2:38 pm
    1. So happy to help 🙂 Love your page!!!

Posted on June 7, 2016 at 3:09 pm
  11. So I definitely had to come check out this page since I said I struggled with this! I’ll definitely look into that app. I’m finding it’s hard as a lifestyle blogger since I don’t have one set topic, besides posting my dance pics which is a little different. Also so many great Instagram accounts look like they take their picture with professional cameras, but half of my pics are from my iPhone.

Posted on November 29, 2016 at 11:22 pm
    1. Hi Shaina! I take all of my photos on my phone as well and I know some of the popular Instagrammers I follow use a mix of phone and camera, so it;s possible to have a great feed with a phone camera – they are so advanced these days 🙂 PicTapGo is honestly amazing, I can’t recommend it enough! It will totally transform your photos!

Posted on November 30, 2016 at 10:38 am
  12. Such great ideas! Thank you!!

Posted on January 25, 2017 at 8:11 pm
    1. Thanks so much for reading and commenting 😀 Glad you enjoyed the post!

Posted on January 26, 2017 at 12:00 pm
  13. This really helped me when it comes to instagram. I am a very new blogger and am looking for the most clear and concise information. This was a great article.

Posted on February 21, 2017 at 10:17 pm
    1. Hi Richlynn! I’m so glad I could provide you with what you were looking for 🙂 Good luck with your blogging and Instagram journey! Xo

Posted on February 23, 2017 at 3:18 pm
  14. Such a helpful article! Great tips!

Posted on February 22, 2017 at 9:47 pm
    1. Thanks Haley! So happy you stopped by and found the article helpful 🙂

Posted on February 23, 2017 at 3:17 pm
  15. Great tips! I’ve been trying to figure out how to make my Instagram look better, more for my own enjoyment than anything else but more followers never hurt, and these will really help 🙂 xx

Posted on February 24, 2017 at 5:35 pm
    1. Hi Charlotte! I love that you are trying to make your Instagram look great for YOURSELF! I think when you do that you will attract a following and tribe that loves your work too! Thanks so much for stopping by and I’m glad you find my tips helpful!

Posted on February 27, 2017 at 11:50 am
  16. Thank you for all these gorgeous ideas…I’m so sporadic with my instagram. I see something I like, I photo and I post but I’ll be more conscious of the aesthetic appeal of the photos all together. Thanks again <3

Posted on April 13, 2017 at 5:05 am
    1. Hi Sara! Thanks so much for your lovely comment 🙂 Sounds like you have a plan going forward and I’m sure that will help the aesthetics of your account! Good luck! Xx Kate

Posted on April 15, 2017 at 9:47 am
  17. this helped me alot thanks!

Posted on May 13, 2017 at 2:10 pm
    1. Amazing, so happy to hear that Zealah!

Posted on May 16, 2017 at 10:58 pm
  18. Great simple ,straight forward ,good ideas ,I’m going to try editing app thanks

Posted on June 11, 2017 at 1:46 am
    1. Thanks Shirley! Glad you like the ideas, thanks so much for stopping by 😀

Posted on June 11, 2017 at 2:01 pm
  19. This honestly was great , it helped a lot ! Please if you get the time would you look at my account and tell me what you think @bee.viljoen

Posted on June 20, 2017 at 1:34 pm
    1. Thank you so much, I’m so glad this post has helped you 😀 I think your photos are great and if you work on implementing a theme, your feed will be amazing 😀

Posted on June 27, 2017 at 12:57 pm
  20. Hi Kate!

My name is Nichole, and I’m still in the process of setting up my blog. I really don’t know where I’m going with it just yet- so I’m basically setting up the site itself, and will move onto focusing on content. I just wanted to say how well written, and aesthetically pleasing it is to maneuver your site. I’ve been visiting blog after blog to get inspiration, and I’ve found yours to be quite useful. Your honest about your blogging journey, and I appreciate that.

xoxo,

Nichole

Posted on July 20, 2017 at 6:46 pm
    1. Hi Nichole! Thank you SO much for such kind words about my blog. I’m so excited for your blogging journey, good luck with everything and happy to have you around 🙂

Posted on July 23, 2017 at 9:34 pm
  21. So helpful Love your instagram!! Which filters do you use on pic tap go?

Posted on September 9, 2017 at 1:34 pm
    1. Thanks so much Rosie! Depending on the photo I’ll use Lights on, Auto Color, Crispity, Contrast, Air 🙂

Posted on September 10, 2017 at 5:31 pm