Image via Pinterest
We’re officially immersed in the grandiose of summer – beautiful high temperatures, blooming gardens, and iced tea stands at every corner (okay, a girl can dream). As we embrace the warm weather, it’s important to make adjustments to different aspects of our lives. Sartorial choices will likely have you in sandals and light weight dresses, beauty regimens become a little simpler, and your home is begging for a mini refresh; especially your bedroom! It’s important to update your bedroom for the summer months so that you can get a good night’s sleep. I don’t know about you, but for me it’s difficult to get to sleep if it’s too hot in my room or if I’m in any way uncomfortable. That being said, I always make sure to take a few easy steps each summer to ensure I can get to sleep easily and wake up totally refreshed and ready for the day ahead!
1. De-clutter. I start with this because de-cluttering is a great way to lay a base for your summer bedroom refresh. A bit of stress comes over me if my room is cluttered, especially my desk. I know it can’t always be spick and span (I’m a busy bee!) but I find when I organize and de-clutter my desk, I can sleep easier at night. Throw out papers you don’t need anymore, file the ones you do (Indigo has some really cute file folders, like this one) and make a place for everything on your desk, whether that means getting some space organizers, an extra set of drawers or making really neat piles that you can easily find things in. This can also be applied to your dresser, make-up table, bedside table, what have you. Walking in to a de-cluttered space does wonders for a relaxing, sleepful night.
2. Refresh Your Bedding. Get rid of your flannels and the heavy down comforter that got you through the brisk winter season. All you need for summer is a light, comfy bedding set that allows you to rest at the temperature you desire. I was recently introduced to Parachute and instantly fell in love with their Venice set from their bedding collection. It includes a duvet cover, a fitted sheet and two pillowcases. The set is available in an array of colours, but for the summer months I was instantly drawn to the powder blue and white as both colours look fresh, crisp and chic. All of their products are made of Egyptian cotton and are dyed naturally so that we can have safe and healthy bedding to sleep in. And want to hear another amazing fact about this company? For each Venice set sold, Parachute donates a life-saving malaria net to Nothing But Nets, an amazing organization that provides safe sleep to those in need.
3. Bring Nature Inside. Each summer I get a plant for my bedroom, usually an orchid. They are so beautiful and it’s a great way to bring the outdoors into your room. It adds a touch of life and a calming scent to help you relax after a long day. Other plants that make for fresh room decor? Cacti! According to The Coveteur, there have been studies that suggest cacti can reduce computer radiation. Always down for that!
4. Read a Book Before Bed. With our lives growing perpetually online, it’s easy to fall asleep watching a show on Netflix or checking our Instagram or emails right before you hit the sack. However, looking at a screen before bed can be hazardous to your sleep. It’s much harder to actually fall asleep after you’ve been staring at a screen, so I suggest reading a good ol’ book. Right now I’m reading Red China Blues, My Long March from Mao to Now by Jan Wong: a memoir about Wong’s rocky relationship with Maoism told with a humorous and infectious tone that I have yet to find in a novel. I’ve just started to delve into it, but it’s my mom’s and sister’s favourite book. I already recommend it! Reading a book before bed is incredibly calming and allows you to bring your mind inside the story and away from any stressors in your life.
5. Go Bright. Another decor aspect you can add to your bedroom for a summer refresh is brightly coloured throw pillows or curtains (or both 😉 ). I’m a sucker for throw pillows and with the decor world bursting with different designs, there is a vast amount to choose from! (West Elm has some really unique and fun ones available right now) . Adding brightly coloured accents will liven up your room and give it that refresh you need to wake up feeling bright and excited for the day!